For my final assignment, the overall process took approximately 15 hours total. The project incorporates both appropriation and GIF-making, both of which are skills I have developed throughout the semester in Digital Approaches to Fine Art. Appropriation involves incorporating someone else’s work in your own work order to make a new piece of work, and GIFs are short, forever-repeating frames. I chose to use appropriation by creating a GIF of images from different seasons. My goal was to portray season change by putting together about 40 found pictures of all four seasons.
The 15 hours put into this project went as follows:
First, I had to think of an idea for an ambitious project that would properly demonstrate the technical, aesthetic, and conceptual skills which I have developed over time in this course. Coming up with an idea and planning it out took about three hours. Then, I gathered content. The content consisted of images from the Web of trees during different times of the year. I had to be sure to search for large images, as well as a variety of images representing each season. Gathering content took four hours.
Gathering content from the Web
I then had to group each image as one of the four seasons. I gave each image the name of a season, as well as the time period within that season. For example, early, mid, or late spring. This took about two hours.
Grouping images by season
Uploading all of my images onto Photoshop was the next step. Once I uploaded the photos, I had to specifically order each image chronologically, in order to imitate season change as process. This step took two hours.
Uploading images to Photoshop
Ordering pictures chronologically
Next, I had to resize, crop, and choose time between each image in the GIF for each individual image. This took an hour and a half.
Editing images in Photoshop
Once I completed all the steps to make the GIF, I saved the image for the Web. Completing the final GIF and saving it took approximately two hours.
Saving completed GIF for the Web
Throughout the whole project, I documented the process and the steps I took to completing it. This took half of an hour. To view the completed project, see my previous post, and click on the image. Enjoy!